A map has many use cases and is not just limited to showing the address of a location. While Google Maps allows you to embed a map through it’s HTML embed code, you don’t really have many options with it.
In this article we are going to share the best mapping plugins with advanced features that will help you in showing much more than a simple map.
Benefits of mapping plugins
- Advanced features such as filtering options, custom branding icons for pins, street views and many more.
- Save time by adding maps right from your WordPress website.
- Add multiple pins to the map.
Before being able to use the plugins you will need the Google maps API key. Steps to get the API key:
- Visit Google Cloud Platform.
- Click on the Get Started button.
- A popup will ask you to pick products, select all the products for the maximum functionality. Click on the Continue button.
- Click on the Create a new project link.
- Now add a name to the project and set up your billing.
- Navigate to Credentials -> Create credentials -> API key.
- An API key will now be displayed, copy and save this API key.
Below are the best mapping plugins for your WordPress website
- MapSVG –
MapSVG lets you create interactive maps with various features such as tips, pop ups, navigation, greying parts of the map and adding links to regions. Whether you want a vector map, Google map or images map this all-in-one plugin lets you do it all. Some of its features include:
- Add event handlers to the map such as on mouse over and click.
- Ability to add pins either through address or coordinates.
- Filtering options such as distance and nearby places.
- Import images and built-in drawing tools.
2. Interactive Geo Maps –
Interactive Geo Maps is another great plugin that allows you to create interactive maps. The maps are responsive and have cross-device compatibility. Some of its features include:
- Create unlimited maps. There is no restriction on the number of maps you can create.
- Create interactive maps based on regions and add colored markers to the map.
- On hover you can change color and display tooltips.
3. Maps Marker –
Maps Marker is one of the most popular plugins for WordPress and allows you to easily display locations and directions. If you care about security and privacy then this plugin is made for you. Some of its features include:
- Pin markers on multiple locations.
- More than 1000 free customizable icons to use within the maps.
- Multiple basemaps to choose from such as Google Maps, Open Street Maps, Bing and Mapbox.