For someone new to WordPress it can be very confusing to choose the right option between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. For many, it may look the same but there are many differences that everyone should know before making a decision between choosing the WordPress.com or self-hosted WordPress.org blogging platform.
Searching WordPress on Google gives both the platforms as the top two results. Many people end up choosing the wrong platform for their needs and later regret their decision. In this article, we are going to share the Pros and Cons of both platforms and which one is best for you.
WordPress.com is a hosting service provided by the co-founder of WordPress CMS. WordPress.com is the perfect choice for beginners who are not technical and would like to avoid the hassles of managing their own website.
- No worries about finding a hosting service and installing the WordPress CMS yourself. You get a ready to use WordPress website on signing up with WordPress.com.
- The updates and backups are managed by WordPress.com relieving you of the stress to manage them.
- Free plan if you want to get a feel of the platform. You get up to 3GB of free storage space and a subdomain on the wordpress.com domain.
- No option to install plugins. Without plugins you have limited options on how your WordPress website will function.
- No option to install custom themes. Having no option to install custom themes can limit the design and UI of your website tremendously.
- No option to use ad platforms such as Google Adsense which restricts your monetization options seriously.
WordPress.org is the self hosted option. By purchasing a hosting plan and installing the CMS software provided by WordPress.org you can get started with WordPress in no time. WordPress.org is the most preferred option mainly due to the freedom and the unlimited customization options.
- Completely free to use the CMS software as you please. Plus the CMS is open source. You only have to pay for the hosting service and the domain.
- Install an unlimited number of plugins and themes.
- Customize the website as you want with no limitations.
- Monetize the website with any ad network or place your own affiliate banners.
- You will have to manage the website yourself including taking backups and updating the WordPress software.
- You will have to install the CMS yourself and manage the hosting server.
WordPress.com or WordPress.org which is better?
It really depends on your requirements. If you are looking for freedom and customization options then WordPress.org is the best option. Whereas if you are a non-technical person who doesn’t want to deal with the hassles of running a WordPress website then you should go with the WordPress.com platform.
In the end, the best option is WordPress.org simply due to the unrestricted access it provides to the platform. Plus, a WordPress website is always going to be empty without the option to add functionality to it using plugins or changing its look with the help of custom themes. Also, as a website grows it will need customization options which are only available through WordPress.org.