We are often not satisfied by the default homepage of our themes or we might want to change a few things in our homepage. WordPress makes it easy to change the homepage of a WordPress website.
What is a homepage in WordPress?
A homepage is basically the front page of your website. It is the page that is displayed when a user visits your domain. By default it shows blog posts but you can customize it according to your preferences.
Why change the homepage?
The homepage is one of the most important sections of a website. It is basically the face of your website. Keeping it pretty is necessary and will lead to better conversions or repeat visitors.
Set a Static Homepage
By default many themes show the blog posts on the homepage. You might want to show much more than just posts on your homepage. It can be anything from landing pages to product galleries. For changing your homepage to a static page follow the below steps.
- Create a new page through Pages -> Add New and edit that page as you want your homepage to be. Save it when you are done.
- Visit Settings -> Reading from your admin dashboard.
- Select the A static page checkbox in Your homepage displays.
- Now select the page we created for the homepage under the Homepage drop down menu.
- Save the changes and now your homepage should be using the page we created above.
Editing your homepage
- Visit Appearance -> Customize from your admin dashboard. Your homepage should be live in the preview box with many options to edit the page on the left.
- A blue edit icon should be present near every block. You can click it to edit them. Let it be images, text or elements, everything can be edited. You can also add or remove different widgets on the page.
- Once done, click the Publish button to save and make the changes live on your website.
Edit menus on the homepage
You can also edit the menus on the homepage from the WordPress live customizer that we used above. For editing the menus, choose the Menus option. You can edit the existing menu or create a new menu by clicking on the Create New Menu button.
Click on the Add Items button to add new menu items to your menus. You can also arrange them under different menu items. Once done select the Menu Locations and click the Publish button.
Homepage is an important part of your website. Making it navigable is necessary. By customizing it according to your business you will improve the user experience of your website tremendously and you will likely see an increase in the conversion ratio.