People looking to start a new blog often find it confusing to choose between WordPress or Blogger as their blogging platform. In this article we are going to help you choose the best blogging platform for your website.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a content management system that lets you create almost any type of website and blog. WordPress is a self hosted solution and you will need to download the software from their website. You will also need a domain and hosting service to run the WordPress CMS.
What is Blogger?
Blogger is a free blogging platform provided by Google for almost two decades now. You won’t have to pay any money to run the blog and you will also get a free sub domain on the blogspot domain. You can also use a custom domain for the Blogger platform.
Pros and Cons of WordPress and Blogger platform
Pros of WordPress
- Self hosted – You will be hosting the WordPress platform on your own hosting service which gives you complete control over the WordPress CMS.
- Customizable and Flexible – Almost anything is possible with WordPress. You are free to customize it as per your needs.
- Thousands of plugins and themes – The best thing about WordPress is it’s plugin and theme store. You will find a plugin for almost any type of functionality you might want on your WordPress blog.
Cons of WordPress
- Security and Backups – Since WordPres is a self hosted solution you are responsible for the backup and security of the platform. Although the WordPress software is secure there are many things that you have to take care when it comes to security.
- Not completely free – While the WordPress software is free you will have to shelve on the domain name and hosting plan.
Pros of Blogger
- Completely Free – Blogger is a completely free blogging platform to use. You just have to sign up with the platform and can start posting content right away. You also get a free sub domain with your blog on the blogspot domain.
- Secure – You don’t have to worry about the security and backups as Google handles it themselves.
- Easy to use – Blogger makes it very easy to signup and start posting your content in minutes.
Cons of Blogger
- Not many customization options – You don’t have complete rights to customize the blog. There are many restrictions that can hamper how you want your blog to look and behave.
- Little functionality – Apart from posting content and a basic blog there isn’t much you can do on the platform.
Which one to choose?
The option best for you is completely dependent on how you want your blog to function.
If you are looking for a customizable blog with complete control and options to easily add various functionalities then WordPress should be your choice.
If you want to get started quickly without any hassles of hosting the blog yourself then Blogger is the best choice.