Did you change your theme recently or made some changes to the media settings? Are all the older images on your website of different sizes than the newly uploaded ones?
Whenever you upload images in WordPress it resizes the images according to the theme and media settings. So on changing a theme or media setting the new sizes can be different from the older ones depending on the theme or the setting. In this article we are going to show how you can regenerate the thumbnails for all your images.
Steps to regenerate thumbnails in WordPress
To regenerate the thumbnails we are going to use the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin. It is a very popular plugin for this task and has over a million active installations.
- Install and activate the plugin.
- Visit Tools -> Regenerate Thumbnails from your admin dashboard.
- On this page you have a few setting options such as avoiding regeneration of thumbnails that are of correct size, deleting the old thumbnail files, regenerating the thumbnail files for all the images or just the featured images.
The page also lists the current thumbnail size settings which you can verify again to avoid any mistakes.
- Once you have selected the options click on the Regenerate Thumbnails for All Attachments or the Featured Images button and wait for the plugin to regenerate the thumbnails. The time it takes will depend on the number of images to be regenerated.
- Once the regeneration is complete you will get an All done in x minutes message. Also if there were any errors you will be able to see them under the Errors Encountered section. Whereas a complete log of the thumbnails that were regenerated will be under the Regeneration Log.
If you want to individually regenerate thumbnails for images then that can also be done. To do so visit Media -> Library from the admin dashboard. Hover over the images you want the thumbnail regenerated for and click on the Regenerate Thumbnails option.
On the next page click on the Regenerate Thumbnails button and the plugin will regenerate the thumbnail of the image.
Changing the theme of your WordPress website can break many things and the thumbnail size is one of them. With the help of Regenerate Thumbnails plugin you can easily regenerate the thumbnails for all the images on your website.