No matter what kind of website you are running on WordPress you will need some kind of form for different actions. These could be contact, survey, newsletter, registration, feedback or payment forms. Many times these forms won’t be enough and you will need a custom form for your requirement.
Thankfully the WPForms plugin makes it extremely easy to get started. With over 4+ million active installations you can guess it’s popularity among WordPress website owners. Some of the features of the plugin are:
- Fully mobile responsive – The form loads perfectly on all devices.
- Drag and drop form builder – You don’t have to write code or play with buttons for building the form. You can easily build your form by dragging and dropping the elements you want in the form.
- Conditional Logic – Show or hide fields based on user behaviour using the smart conditional logic system of WPForms.
- Spam Protection – The forms use Captcha to prevent bots from submitting the forms.
- File upload functionality – You can accept files from users using the forms.
- Payment forms – Create forms to collect money using PayPal, Stripe and Authorize.Net.
Steps to create a custom form using WPForms
- Install and activate the WPForms plugin.
- In the admin dashboard you will find a WPForms entry in the sidebar menu now. Visit WPForms -> Add New.
- Enter the name of the form in the Form Name text field.
- Under the Select a Template either you can select a Blank Form or any of the pre-made templates. We are going to select the Blank Form.
- Various field options will be visible now on the left hand side under the Add Fields tab.
- You can now add the fields to the form by simply dragging and dropping the field options from the left side.
For example, to add a name field simply drag and drop the Name element from the Standard Fields on the left to the form area. The form should now look something like below.
You can further edit the settings of the name field by hovering over the field and clicking on the Click to edit button. In the left menu you can now change the settings under Field Options. From advanced options to conditional logic you have many options to choose from.
- Once done click on the Save button at the top.
Adding the form to a Page
Once the custom form is created you might want to add it to a page. To do so visit WPForms -> All Forms from your admin dashboard and click on the form you want to embed.
You will now be taken to the WPForms dashboard. On the top click on the EMBED button. Choose whether to embed in an existing page or create a new one.
If you select to create a new page then enter the name of the page and click on the Let’s Go button. A new page will be created and the form embedded to the page.
Now click on the Publish button on the page and your page is ready with the form embedded in it.