WordPress makes it very easy to add videos from video hosting platforms such as YouTube. Videos are a great way to increase traffic and user engagement. In this article, we are going to show how you can add videos from YouTube in your WordPress website.
Importance of YouTube videos on your website
While videos can directly be hosted on your WordPress website, they can end up making your servers slow and you will also need huge disk space. YouTube eliminates the need for this and provides a simple and advanced platform through which you can embed the videos on your website easily.
If you run a YouTube channel then you can also integrate the channel completely on your website. Adding videos also helps increase the search engine rankings and user engagement of your website.
Embedding YouTube videos in your posts and pages
WordPress post editor makes it extremely easy to embed YouTube videos in your posts and pages due to the auto-embed feature. The auto-embed feature automatically fetches the embed code of a video just from a video URL.
Steps to embed YouTube video on your posts and pages
- First copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to embed.
- Now create or edit a post or page where you want to embed the video.
- Paste the URL of the YouTube video in the WordPress editor. WordPress will automatically get the embed code of the video and display it in the page or post where you pasted the URL.
- You can now save the page or post and preview the YouTube video.
Embedding YouTube videos using widgets
You can also display YouTube videos in the sidebar using widgets. Widgets allow you to display the video site wide instead of just a page or post.
Steps to embed YouTube videos using widgets
- First copy the url of the YouTube video you want to embed.
- Visit Appearance -> Widgets from your admin dashboard.
- Add a text widget to the Sidebar area.
- Give a title to the widget and paste the video url in the content area. WordPress will automatically fetch the embed code and display the YouTube video in the widget now.
- Click on the Save button.
WordPress makes it very easy to add a YouTube video to the website. Especially its auto-embed feature makes the embedding process a breeze. Adding videos to your website helps increase traffic and user engagement. It also helps keep your website’s content fresh.