Lets say someone recommended you to use WordPress for starting a blog. The first step you will do is Google WordPress. Now the result may confuse you as you will see two main results, WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
For someone who is a beginner in WordPress both the domains will be completely new. Although, both are maintained by the WordPress team but have a huge difference in between them.
What is WordPress.com?
You can think of WordPress.com as a hosting website only made for WordPress. They will host a WordPress site either for free or a price depending on the pack you choose. WordPress.com is owned by the company behind WordPress, so this can be a safe and easy option if you want to start your own WordPress website.
Pros of WordPress.com
- It’s very easy to start your website. You just have to sign up and choose an option between the free and paid plans and your website will be online in no time.
- It’s a service provided by the same company behind the WordPress CMS. So, it’s safe and secure to use.
Cons of WordPress.com
- Limited customization options. The customization’s you can make to your site are very restrictive and you don’t get much flexibility.
- No option to upload custom themes. Also, you can only install from a very limited set of plugins .
What is WordPress.org?
WordPress.org is the website from where you can download the WordPress CMS files to self host on your website. In simple terms WordPress.org is a self hosting option. If you want freedom and all the customization options on your site then this is the best option.
Pros of WordPress.org
- Fully customizable. You are not restricted in any way and have complete control over your website.
- Install custom themes and plugins. No matter what theme or plugins you want to use with your website you are free to do so.
- It’s completely free. No need to pay even a single cent for using the WordPress CMS.
Cons of WordPress.org
- You will have to find hosting for it. If you are a beginner then it can be difficult to get started.
- Since you can install any theme and plugins there is no security against them. You can end up installing malware on your site.
- You are responsible for maintaining the site from backups to updates.
Both the options have their advantages and disadvantages. You should choose according to your needs. But if one had to be chosen from both the options then WordPress.org is definitely the best option due to it being fully customizable. Nothing can beat flexibility.
Many people wonder that if they went with WordPress.com and later want to switch to WordPress.org then will it be possible? Yes, it is possible to switch from WordPress.com to WordPress.org.